1955 Arnold D. Haskell (1895-1977) bought the
Norman's Nursery property at the corner of Dahlia
Avenue and Pacific Coast Highway in Corona del
Mar, California. The property included a small
adobe house that he planned to use as his Orange
County office. Shortly after occupying the adobe
Mr. Haskell began landscaping the nursery site
and the surrounding property.
1958 the nursery area, now known as The Tea
Garden, was being used as a community service
project by the Newport Harbor Service League
(later to become the Junior League of Orange
County) for the sale of pastries, coffee and
Haskell's concept for the property was then
expanded to include the building of a beautiful
garden that would be open to the public. It
was to be a serene oasis - a respite from the
stress and pressures of daily schedules.
the 1960s the balance of the property making
up the entire 2.2-acre block, which is now occupied
by Sherman Library & Gardens, was acquired.
Remodeling of the original buildings, consisting
of the present gift shop, Gardens office and
the adobe house, and construction of the Library,
conservatory and central patio building were
all completed between 1967 and 1974.
(for he always shunned personal publicity) Mr.
Haskell named the Library & Gardens after
his mentor and benefactor, M.H. Sherman (1853-1932),
and not after himself.